Kannur International Airport is the second greenfield airport setup in the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model in the civil aviation infrastructure sector in Kerala.
The airport development has been planned in phases on a modular basis to suit future requirements and also to minimize the initial investment, so as to generate revenue at the earliest possible time.
This prestigious greenfield airport project is at Mattannur, in the Kannur district of Kerala State. It is just 20 kms away from Kannur city, and 2 kms from Mattannur on the Kannur – Mattannur – Mysore road.
The airport is strategically located with easy access from NH-17 and SH-30 & 36. The airport is situated equidistant from Thalassery and Kannur Railway Stations, and the nearest railway line is the main line from Kanyakumari to Mumbai.
- To provide an international gateway to the North Malabar region with state-of-the art facilities to support safe, efficient and cost-effective travel for foreign tourists and ‘non-resident’ Indians from Kerala, as well as domestic passengers.
- To act as an air cargo hub for the Malabar region.
- To provide a host of commercial, trade promotion and industrial activities that can generate employment opportunities, provide avenues for trade in traditional products to affluent markets in the Gulf and Europe, and open new vistas in the field of IT & ICT.
- To promote beach, pilgrimage and health tourism.
- To transform the North Malabar region into a highly developed growth centre for travel, tourism and industries.